Monday, August 23, 2010

Tofu Tacos

Here it is my tofu taco recipe just in time for Meatless Monday. This can also be done with different meats if you just can't live without meat, which some days, I find it impossible.

Mistake number one, I forgot to see how many ounces the tofu package is. Sorry. But I use half a package. Don't worry it's really a throw together kind of recipe, so the amounts don't have to be perfect. First I mash up the tofu with my (clean) hands and put it in a pan with a little olive oil. Brown the tofu until it looks kind of like well done scrambled eggs.


I used the following seasonings: salt, pepper, red pepper, cumin, paprika, and onion powder. Then chop up your vegetables of choice. I like to use different colored bell peppers. I also usually use mushrooms, but I was out on this particular day. My husband hates onions, so I have to settle for onion powder, although, for some dishes I cook some separately and add it after I've gotten my portion. If you don't have a four year old, you could also add some jalapenos or other hot peppers.



Add the peppers to the browned tofu.



When the peppers are hot and softened a little, add one can of black beans, do not drain.


Add more spices if necessary. Spoon into a taco shell and garnish to your preference. One thing I love to do is cut up an avocado and put a couple pieces in each taco.
Just a reminder. It's best to eat local meat, if you can afford it. However, if everyone who eats corporate meat were to have one vegetarian meal a week, the effect would be well worth the effort. Just something to think about.

Happy eatings!

No comments:

Post a Comment